Monday, June 14, 2010

Pre-departure thoughts...

Well, in a few hours, we will be embarking on what is sure to be an exciting adventure to Bolivia. This time I've correctly identified my flight time/date, and started packing a week in advance :). We start with a flight from SFO to Miami, and have a 45 minute layover before we transfer flights to La Paz (yikes, lets hope for an on time arrival). Then we hop on another short flight to Cochabamba. For the first few days we are there, we'll be staying in Cochabamba for a general orientation, and then we'll head out to Tiraque, to El Centro Tata Esteban, where we will be spending most of our time.

A few nights ago, my friend Liz organized a great dinner where I got to meet a few of their friends who engaged in service in Bolivia (one did the Peace Corps, and the other actually interned for FSD!) It was an amazing time, and I'm so glad we got the chance to talk about Bolivia. Meredith, who worked with FSD before, actually knew the folks we'd be working with and it was very comforting to meet someone who had such great things to say about her experience.

I'm extremely excited for this trip, and am looking forward to so many things -- the students' experiences, meeting and getting to know the people and making lasting relationships, contributing in any way we can, seeing a new land, learning about indigenous culture, and recognizing personal growth and understanding in myself. I know that this will be unlike any trip I've had before, and am looking forward to being challenged and stretching beyond that which I've been comfortable. One of my favorite parts of travel is the eager anticipation with which you meet the experience. I have no idea what will transpire, who I'll meet, or what I'll learn, but that is part of the excitement. It translates into a lot of life experiences, and over the years I've come to embrace and cherish that anticipation. It's like the butterflies you feel when you know something good/exciting is about to take place. Once I'm there, I'll know what they were about. Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment